Carnivals are awesome events full of colorful and merry celebrations. You should definitely attend at least one in your life. There are many wonderful carnivals around the world that will be a memorable experience – you probably heard about the carnival in Brazil, yet there are many more worth attending. So, what are the biggest carnivals in the world? Find out, by reading our list!
The list of biggest carnivals around the world
Carnival festivities are amazing in general, but in some countries or cities they truly stand out. Our list consists of the biggest carnivals around the world along with their dates, ticket prices and more. So, let’s get started!
The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro
When asked about the biggest carnival in the world, most of us would answer: Rio de Janeiro. No wonder, since the festivities there get international attention every year. The colorful parades attract thousands of tourists who want to experience the famous Brazilian celebrations – samba dances, street parties and many more. Here are a couple of details about the 2024 Rio de Janeiro carnival:
|Access Group||Special Group||Winners’ Parade|
|Dates:||9th and 10th February 2024||11th and 12th February 2024||17th February 2024|
|What’s on display:||The second league of samba schools.||The best samba schools in Rio de Janeiro.||The top 6 schools form the access and special group parades.|
Rio de Janeiro travel tips:
- If you want to get on a bus, you need to call it, similarly like a taxi.
- Use the subway if possible – it’s nice and neat.
- Taste the cuisine – it’s good and quite inexpensive for such a popular tourist destination.
- Check out the Rio de Janeiro map to find the best tourist spots apart from the festival.
The Notting Hill Carnival in London
The UK isn’t only known for holding some of the best summer music festivals in Europe, but also for the largest street festival on the whole continent – the Notting Hill Carnival in London. Unlike traditional carnivals, it is held during the summer, usually on the last weekend of August and the following Monday. Here are some more details about this event:
|Dates:||26th–28th August 2023|
|Ticket prices:||£10 ($12-$13)|
|What’s on display:||Caribbean food, people in colorful costumes, dancers, masquerades, live music, street parties|
London travel tips:
- The traffic direction in the UK is reversed compared to most countries – be wary of that.
- Don’t forget an umbrella – English weather can surprise you with rain at any time.
- Check the London map made by the users of YouMap – you will find all the important tourist attractions there.
The Mardi Gras Carnival in New Orleans
The Mardi Gras Carnival is one of the best carnivals in the world, since it is driven by the community. There is no official Mardi Gras, all the celebrations are prepared separately, creating a wonderful event. If you want to attend a carnival in the US, this will be the perfect choice. So, what’s the Mardi Gras Carnival all about?
|Dates:||13th February 2024|
|What’s on display:||Parades, picnics, floats, hauling trinkets|
|What’s worth knowing:||You can book a room with a balcony on the parade route, to experience the festivities from the comfort of your hotel|
New Orleans travel tips:
- Pack clothes for different weather – it can be both hot or freezing during the Mardi Gras season.
- Get there early – it might be difficult to navigate the city when the festivities begin.
- Check the New Orleans maps to find the best spots in the city.
Now you know the biggest carnivals around the world and their dates. If you want to look for more amazing festivities, download YouMap and check the maps prepared by other travelers – you might find some fun options there!
Are you planning to go to one of these carnivals? Then you should definitely check our guide to planning a trip.