Moving to a new city can be an exciting and overwhelming experience, especially if you don’t have friends there. Fortunately, there are many ways to join the local community and find people who share a similar mindset and values. If you’ve just started college, changed jobs or simply decided to turn over a new leaf, then this might help you learn how to make friends in a new city.
Table of contents
Making friends in a new city – 10 tips that will help you
Making friends in a new city can be challenging, especially if you belong to the group of shy or introverted people. Fortunately, in many cases, technology and the wide range of apps at our disposal come to the rescue.
So, how to meet people in a new city? Here are 10 proven ways:
- Join thematic Facebook groups – this is probably the most popular and effective way to make friends via the Internet. For example, if you’re into hiking, there are plenty of Facebook groups for aficionados of this sport in almost every city. Join the group and start conversations.
- Stay open-minded and say “yes” to new adventures – it’s much easier to make friends when you’re open to meeting people and trying new things. So, instead of spending your evenings at home, go out and explore your city. Sign up for extracurricular activities, go to concerts or explore local landmarks.
- Go to the gym – this is a great way to meet people with similar interests. If you don’t feel like working out alone, you can sign up for group classes or even join a sports team. This will increase your chances of finding someone to talk to.
- Try co-living – if you’re struggling making friends in a new city, renting a flat with another person could be a great option for you. It’s an effective way to get to know new people and find someone to share your living expenses with.
- Connect with your neighbors – getting to know the people who live around you is a great way to feel like a part of the community. So, next time you see your neighbor, strike up a conversation and get to know them better.
- Go out and explore – one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with a new city is to explore it on foot. Go for a walk or a run in different neighborhoods and discover all the hidden gems your city has to offer.
- Ditch your phone – resist the urge to bury your nose in your phone when you’re out and about. Instead, make an effort to engage with the people around you. This will make it easier for you to make eye contact.
- Join a Meetup group – there are Meetup groups for almost everything these days. So, whether you’re into hiking, biking, or cooking, you’re sure to find a group of people with similar interests to connect with.
- Attend local events – another great way to meet people in a new city is to attend local concerts and festivals. Why don’t you go to the nearby farmers’ market? Maybe your friend is waiting for you there?
- Use a social mapping app – YouMap offers an intuitive social mapping app where you can join existing communities or build your own one. Download the application, see how people spend their free time in your neighborhood and reach out to them.
How to meet people in a new city? Don’t worry! It’s not difficult. Actually, new friends are waiting for you just around the corner. These 10 tips will help you find like-minded people wherever you go. All you need to do is stay open-minded, benefit from available technology and get out to explore.