Nowadays, many young people dream of becoming influencers. It shouldn’t be surprising – most influencers are able to earn money by doing what they love. Plus, the fact that they are major opinion makers for many makes it even more attractive. If you also desire to pursue this opportunity, you should absolutely read this article. Here, we will explain how to become an influencer and make money out of it. Enjoy!
What does being an influencer mean?
Before we delve into the topic of how to become an Instagram or Amazon influencer, we need to explain who an influencer is. Unlike the common belief, an influencer does not equal a celebrity – it is possible to be both at the same time, yet you can also become an influencer without being a celebrity or the other way around.
There is no, however, universal definition of an influencer. Some will say it’s a person who influences other peoples’ buying decisions through social media. Others will claim that influencers do not focus only on purchases, but are generally able to impact what their followers think. The truth is somewhere in between – they can indeed convince their audience to order certain products, yet they in fact act as trustworthy experts in their field, thus their actions are not purely sales-driven.
How many followers do you need to have to become an influencer?
While influencer marketing strategists will focus mostly on influencers with a larger audience, you do not actually have to have thousands of followers to become one. Your number of followers defines what kind of influencer you are, yet it doesn’t need to be huge. It mostly depends on what kind of content you create and who is in your target group. So, what are the different categories of influencers?
- Nano influencers: 500–100 followers; work within a super-specific niche
- Micro influencers: 1k–100k followers; experts in specific field
- Macro influencers: 100k–999k; focused on one of the most popular areas (e.g. fashion, gaming)
- Mega influencers: 1m+; social media celebrities associated with the most popular topics
How to become an influencer and make money out of it?
Becoming an influencer is a long process – you ought to be dedicated and patient. It is impossible to get a major increase in followers overnight if you are just starting. Apart from that, there are some steps that you should take – they will help you achieve success more quickly:
- Find your niche – Consider what you want your content to be about. Maybe you like sports, and should start with topics such as, how to start going to the gym? Perhaps you love cooking and that’s the way to go? Remember that you won’t only need to attract followers, but also keep them on board, so choosing your niche is crucial.
- Select the platform – Knowing what your content is going to be about is one thing, but deciding where to post it is another. Start with one platform, such as YouTube, Instagram or YouMap, and slowly expand to the other ones after you gain recognition.
- Ensure that your content is top-notch – In business, there is this term UVP – unique value proposition. It basically means: a feature that our product or service has that no other competitor can offer. It is the same with content. If you choose a popular niche, similar topics are bound to be covered by other influencers, so you need to ensure that your content is high-quality, and simply offers something more than that of your competitors.
- Be consistent and keep your audience engaged – Your followers will expect you to post regularly, so you mustn’t forget about it. Additionally, starting discussions in the comments section or simply replying to questions is also a wonderful idea.
- Make use of influencer programs – When you decide that it is time to forge your content into money, don’t hesitate to participate in special programs. For example, people who wonder how to become an Amazon influencer have an easy job – they can sign up for the giant’s influencer program and start earning money in a blink of an eye.
Becoming an influencer does not mean being a celebrity, although this is what we usually associate it with. But, how to become an influencer? By creating unified, regular content on one of the social media platforms. And, if you desire to earn money out of it, the simplest way is to join an influencer program – they are an effective way to gain your first income.
Are you an influencer or want to become one? Do you consider writing a blog? Read our 5 useful tips for bloggers – they will help you keep your audience engaged!