Halloween is just around the corner. Do you know that it originates from the Celtic festival of Samhain? It is a festival that was organized on October 31 to ward off ghosts with the help of special costumes and bonfires. So,where is the best place to celebrate Halloween? Keep reading to discover our list of 6 unique cities and learn how people prepare for Halloween around the world!
Table of contents
Halloween – meaning & traditions
Halloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31st. It’s a time when people dress up in costumes, attend parties, and go trick-or-treating. The origins of Halloween can be traced back to the Celtic festival of Samhain, which was held on the night of October 31st to ward off ghosts. What are the popular Halloween celebrations around the world?
Where to celebrate Halloween?
The eve of All Hallows’ Day is approaching really quickly. Where is the best place to celebrate Halloween around the world?
Take a look at our ranking:
- New York City, United States – it’s one of the best places to celebrate Halloween. The city comes alive during this time of the year with Halloween-themed events and parties. Some of the popular celebrations in New York City include the Village Halloween Parade, the pumpkin flotilla in Central Park, and the Halloween parade in Greenwich Village.
- Dublin, Ireland – it’s another great place where you can see how Halloween is celebrated around the world. The city has a long history – it’s said that the first Halloween parade was held in Dublin in 1831. Now, people celebrate this festive day with a number of events and activities such as the Halloween Festival at Dublin Castle, the Halloween Ball at the Mansion House, and the Halloween Parade through the main city streets.
- Tokyo, Japan – if you’re planning to spend Halloween in Japan, you should certainly visit its capital. The holiday is gaining increasing popularity in various cities, including Tokyo. Once you’re there, you should check out the Halloween Horror Nights at Tokyo Disneyland, the Halloween Parade at Tokyo Tower and Roppongi Hills as well as the Halloween Party at the Tokyo Dome. Moreover, there are various street parties which are a great way to celebrate Halloween on a budget.
- London, England – would you like to learn more about celebrating Halloween in different cultures? London has a long history and outstanding traditions. If you decide to visit the city in October, you should definitely attend the Halloween Party at the Tower of London.
- Hong Kong, China – it’s one of the most popular places to celebrate Halloween in Asia. You can attend numerous themed events and parades like Hong Kong Disneyland Haunted Halloween Celebrations, Ocean Park Halloween Fest, Lan Kwai Fong Halloween Street Party or Dukling Halloween Sailing Party, and many more. As you can see, there are plenty of options to choose from.
- Salem, Massachusetts, United States – last but not least, Salem is the perfect place to celebrate Halloween if you’re looking for a truly spooky experience. The city is home to the Salem witch trials, and it’s said that the ghosts of the witches who were killed during this time still haunt the city. If you’re brave enough, you can take a ghost tour or visit one of the many haunted houses in Salem.
As you can see, there are many different places where you can celebrate Halloween around the world. It all depends on what you’re looking for and what budget you have. There are various cities offering a festive and fun atmosphere, so it’s worth checking them out to learn how Halloween is celebrated around the world.
Need more inspirations? Download the YouMap social mapping app and explore places where you can celebrate Halloween!