The new year has just begun which means many of us have ambitious resolutions like staying fit and active. Running is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but getting started can be a challenge. Are you ready to reap the rewards of improved wellness, increased energy, and better mental focus? Keep reading to learn how to start a running routine in a few simple steps!
What are the benefits of running?
There are many reasons why it’s worth starting running. Top benefits include:
- Improved cardiovascular health – running is a great form of aerobic exercise, meaning it can help strengthen your heart and lungs, improve your circulation and reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and other conditions related to heart health.
- Stress relief – it’s a great way to blow off steam, reduce stress and boost your mood. It can help clear your head and enable you to better manage life’s daily challenges.
- Improved mental health – regular exercise can help reduce symptoms of anxiety. It’s a great way to boost your focus, concentration and cognitive functioning.
- Increased endurance – by running regularly, you can build your stamina and run longer distances or at faster speeds.
So, how to start running?
How to start a running routine? 10 tips
What is the best way to start running? Take a look at the tips below:
- Start small – don’t expect to run a marathon the first day you work out. Begin with short distances and gradually increase your mileage as your fitness level improves.
- Set realistic goals – start with objectives that are achievable, such as running for 10 minutes three times a week. It’s a great starting point that will help you develop your own routine.
- Get the right shoes – how to start a run? Invest in a good pair of running shoes that fit properly and provide adequate cushioning and support. Without them, you’ll struggle with blisters and you may be prone to injuries.
- Don’t try to run too fast or too far too early – start at a comfortable pace and gradually increase your speed and distance as your stamina improves.
- Listen to your body – don’t push yourself too hard. Take breaks when you need to and don’t be afraid to take a day off if you’re feeling tired or sore.
- Use social mapping apps – applications like YouMap will allow you to find unique running trails, tracks and paths in your local area. You’ll also be able to create your own maps with the best places to run.
- Find a running partner – having a running buddy can help keep you motivated and accountable. For this purpose, you can also use YouMap that will connect you with like-minded people.
- Use a running app – how to start running if you’re a beginner? Don’t forget to download a running app to track your progress, set goals and measure your performance.
- Cross train – mix up your running routine with other forms of cardio, such as swimming and cycling, to keep your body and mind from getting too bored.
- Remember about rest days – take one or two days off from running per week to give your body time to recover and adjust.
It doesn’t matter if you’re wondering how to start running again or for the first time, the key is to gradually build up your speed and distance. Using the tips and apps above, you can create a sustainable running routine that will help you stay fit and active.
So what are you waiting for? Download YouMap, search for unique trails, and take care of your health!