With the start of fall, we usually forget about vacations. But this season is also a wonderful time to go and do something different, something relaxing. You don’t even need to book days off – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be enough for you to go on your adventure. Especially if you read this article, in which we focus on the best fall weekend getaways. Interested? Read on!
The Best October and November Weekend Getaways
So, where can you go to have fun or simply relax? Here’s our list of the best fall weekend getaways that will help you forget about work and have a delightful time!
National parks are the perfect weekend getaway for fall (but also for spring). Nature slowly lays to sleep, the colorful leaves are everywhere and the animals prepare for the winter – all of that makes a visit to a national park in October and November unique.
If you don’t want to go to your nearest national park but rather strive for the best experience, we’ve got you covered – here’s a list of the best national parks in the US worth visiting in the fall:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
- Death Valley National Park, California (It might not stun you with fall nature, but the temperature there is bearable, unlike in the summer)
- Everglades National Park, Florida
- Zion National Park, Utah
- Acadia National Park (Especially in October)
Another option for a wonderful October or November getaway is a tour to one of the biggest US cities. They aren’t as crowded as during the summer, the weather is perfect – not too hot, not too chilly, and you’ll find many of these cities offering unique fall activities. Which of them do we recommend?
- New York City, New York (New York Film Festival, street fairs)
- Denver, Colorado (Great American Beer Festival)
- Albuquerque, New Mexico (International Balloon Fiesta)
- Boston, Massachusetts (Head of The Charles Regatta)
- Cincinnati, Ohio (Oktoberfest Zinzinnati)
We mustn’t forget one of the US trademarks – the Niagara Falls. They are an excellent choice for a fall weekend getaway for two reasons:
- They are far less crowded than in the summer.
- They look stunningly beautiful, surrounded by colorful leaves.
Bear in mind that the best time to go is the beginning and middle of October. If you wish to go later, check out the weather – snow is expected in the area on the verge of October and November, plus many of the attractions close when it happens, so it might not be the most fun getaway if you visit then.
Finally, you can go to Canada. As fall descends, this enchanting land undergoes a breathtaking transformation as the iconic maple leaves, along with their counterparts, burst into a fiery kaleidoscope of hues. Where should you venture to embrace this mesmerizing transformation of Canada’s landscape?
- Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
- Fundy Coastal Drive, New Brunswick
- Peterborough, Ontario (Rent a cabin in the wilderness)
- Montreal, Quebec
- Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Find the Best Fall Weekend Getaway Ideas with YouMap!
If you know where you want to go but don’t know what activities and attractions you can find in your locations, download our social mapping app – YouMap! Check the maps prepared by other users, scroll through the stories of their travels, and find the perfect events, restaurants, and attractions in your destination to have the best weekend getaway ever!
So, you know what are the best fall weekend getaways. Every one of them will let you have an unforgettable time, so don’t hesitate to try several out – after all, October and November have 9 weekends in total!
Did you like this article? You might also be interested in reading: 5 Best Places to Visit in November