Are you a winter lover looking for a snowy getaway in 2022? With so many unique cities in the world to explore, deciding where to go can be overwhelming. To help you make up your mind, we’ve compiled a list of the best cities to visit in winter 2022 and 2023. From snow-covered streets in Germany to ice-skating in Canada, these spots will offer you the perfect winter escape. So come and explore the most popular winter wonderlands and enjoy the upcoming season to the fullest!
Table of contents
- What are the benefits of winter travel?
- 8 best cities for winter lovers
- Where can you find unique and picturesque spots? The takeaway
What are the benefits of winter travel?
Wintertime is perfect for experiencing the festive atmosphere of a city in full swing. Just think about the cozy Christmas markets, carol singing, and plenty of twinkling lights! This season gives you a unique opportunity to get out and experience some of the best winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling.
Apart from these, many cities offer delicious winter-time specialties you won’t want to miss out on. From traditional German glühwein to warming soups and stews, there are plenty of options to indulge in some mouth-watering winter treats.
Now that you know why to travel in winter let’s explore the list of the best cities to visit in December.
8 best cities for winter lovers
What are the best cities to visit in winter? If you want to fully experience the festive atmosphere of the season, be sure to check out:
- Munich, Germany – it’s the perfect place for winter lovers, with its traditional Christmas markets, festive lights, and snow-covered streets. Enjoy the Bavarian ambiance and sample some of the delicious winter treats like glühwein and bratwurst.
- Quebec City, Canada– a real winter paradise that amazes with its old stone buildings. It’s ideal for enjoying winter activities like ice-skating, snowshoeing, and horse-drawn sleigh rides, as well as some of the best food in the country.
- Salzburg, Austria – want to enjoy the beautiful winter scenery of the Austrian Alps while strolling through the narrow streets of the old city? Salzburg will meet your expectations. Try some of the local specialties like Wiener Schnitzel and Kaiserschmarrn, and be sure to experience the traditional Christmas markets.
- Reykjavik, Iceland – this winter wonderland is known for its picturesque landscapes and unique culture. Take a dip in the natural hot springs for a truly memorable experience and unwind after a hard day, week, or month.
- Lapland, Finland – if you want to experience the Northern Lights and snow-covered forests, you should definitely put Lapland on your bucket list. Winter in this city will surely captivate you.
- Aspen, Colorado, USA – this is one of the best cities for winter lovers, and a charming ski resort is perfect for skiing enthusiasts. Enjoy skiing, snowboarding, and other winter activities, while admiring the majestic Rocky Mountains.
- Banff, Canada – this picturesque town is known for its breathtaking views of the Canadian Rockies. It’s the perfect place to enjoy some winter sports, take a dip in a hot spring, and experience the unique culture.
- Chicago, Illinois, USA – spend your winter days wandering around Millennium Park, admiring the beautiful and iconic Cloud Gate sculpture. When in Chicago, don’t forget to visit the Christmas tree at Daley Plaza!
Where can you find unique and picturesque spots? The takeaway
If you’re looking for the best cities for winter lovers, be sure to check out the YouMap social mapping app.
It’s a great and intuitive tool for discovering exceptional locations all around the world. With its easy-to-use interface, you can explore popular ski resorts in Europe, or the most important world-famous landmarks to create your custom itineraries. So, don’t wait and download our app to enjoy your winter getaways and explore breathtaking winter wonderlands!